'If we did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally astound ourselves.' Thomas Edison









05 March 2010

Mum

Yvonne, born 6 March 1955 - my Mum and friend. Today is her birthday - she would have been 55 years old. I chose this poem to have read at her funeral, but it is only now that I can actually do these things without feeling angry or bitter at losing her.
She is gone

You can shed tears that she is gone,
or you can smile that she has lived.
You can close your eyes and pray that she'll come back,
or you can open your eyes and see all that she's left.
Your heart can be empty because you can't see her,
or you can be full of the love you shared.
You can turn your back on tomorrow and live yesterday,
or you can be happy for tomorrow because of yesterday.
You can remember her and only that she's gone,
or you can cherish her memory and let it live on.
You can cry and close your mind
be empty and turn your back
or you can do what she'd want:
smile, open your eyes, love and go on.
I dreamt about her last night - first time in ages. I do believe that people who've died visit us in our dreams. She must know that the cruse counselling helped because she said to me 'you don't need me any more' (in a nice way), and I replied that I'll always need her.
-x-
Anyway, I finished these last weekend but I wanted to save them for today. They will hang in my hallway just as soon as I've painted it all.



Edited to add: the date at the top should be 6 March but blogger wouldn't allow me to schedule it!!!!!

6 comments:

Carolyn said...

My thoughts are with you today xx

Dawn said...

Thinking of you xxx

Lou said...

A beautiful poem and so true. Have a special day of memories today. Sending you positive thoughts xx

Pippa said...

That's a beautiful poem. Your mum has a very kind face, you must miss her so much and it takes a lot of courage to look forwards sometimes. I totally agree that that people who have died come back to us, sometimes in dreams and sometimes at random times when suddenly you remember something that they said and it gives you great support. Sometimes you just feel their closeness and comfort and know that they are close by. My thoughts are with you and I hope you will always have wonderful, happy memories of your lovely mum. xxxxx

Jacqui said...

What a beautiful post. I am glad you dreamt about your Mum. I always feel so warm and comforted if I dream about my Grandparents. It's as if they live inside me and pop up every now and then to give me a hug. She looks such a lovely lady, with beautiful name. Lots of love to you xxx

sue said...

Shell this is so beautiful, it's wonderful that you've been able to share this. my thoughts are with you hun. your mum will always be only a thought away and in your heart everyday x